Body Detoxification has been practiced for centuries around the world, being especially prominent in ayurvedic and chinese medicine systems. Detoxification focuses on resting, cleaning and nourishing the body. Detoxification is NOT a diet. Diets considered to be "detoxifying" can rob the body of key nutrients and put the body in starvation mode, which actually slows your metabolism. The real detox is eating foods to benefit your own detox organs, aiding your healing processes. Detox literally means cleansing the blood. It can help the body's natural cleaning process by stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body, promoting elimination through your kidneys, intestines and skin, improving blood circulation and refueling the body with healthy nutrients. Detoxing can also help with fatigue, sluggish elimination, irritated skin, allergies, low-grade infections and bags under the eyes. There are some steps you can take to jumpstart your healing:
1. Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats.
2. Minimize the use of chemical household cleaner.
3. Cleanse and protect your liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root and drinking green tea.
4. Take vitamin C supplements.
5. Drink your recommended daily amount of water.
6. Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your body.
7. Sweat in a sauna to eliminate wastes through persperation.
8. Detoxifying foot baths.
9. Exercise regularly.
10. Eat plenty of fiber, for example, brown rice and fresh fruits and veggies such as beets, radishes, cabbage, broccoli, seaweed, raspberries and apples.
11. Destressing by relaxation to prevent the release of stress hormones that slow down detox enzymes in the liver.
12. Regular detoxifying spa treatments.
At Citron Spa located conveniently in Providence Rhode Island, we have many detoxifying spa treatments to offer using Aveda products. Aveda's roots lie in ayurveda, the Indian healing tradition based on the knowledge of life and the interconnectedness of all things. Each of our massages will increase circulation to benefit all organs of the body. We also offer Caribbean Therapy treatments designed for the body, feet and hands. Not only do these treatments provide much needed relaxation, but Aveda's self-warming Seaweed Masque is also a perfect way to detoxify the skin. This seaweed masque has red and brown algae and mineral salt that helps purify and detoxify the skin, making it look and feel toned. This masque is also combined with Sea Science Masque. This masque contains beta-carotine, vitamins, melissa (lemon-balm) which acts as an astringent, red clover which contains protein and vitamins A, C, D and E, alfalfa which contains vitamins A, C, D and E and Hyssop which cleases and detoxifies the skin. Finish off your treatment with a light massage with a warm hydrating body lotion and you feel brand new!
No matter where your detoxification begins, you're guaranteed to start feeling a difference. Even starting with some of the other smaller changes will jumpstart your body and keep you feeling great.